Sunday, July 10

Less than a god, but more than a man

"Hello all you Evil Dead loving Mormons!" Bruce's words rang across the theatre and were followed by an enormous applause. From the back, someone yelled out, "But I'm Catholic!" "Ah, so you're the one," was Bruce's reply.
Yes, as most of you already know, last night was the special screening/book signing featuring Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell. Now, normally, I'm not one to gush, but holy cow, it was awesome! As can be told by the aforementioned comments (as well as a few that will follow), Bruce is a very funny guy. The natural kind of funny. Which explains why he does such a good job in all his movies. That's also why he was able to say on-the-fly lines such as:
-"'Are we going to make an Evil Dead IV?' . . . . . . . . . Sorry, I hesitate because I've never been asked that question before. Yeah, we can make it. Just call Sam Raimi up and tell him to stop making Spider-man 3. I'm sure he'll have no problem."
-"Cameo? I would stay away from that word. My roles in Spider-man 1 and 2 were more than cameos. 'Pivotal' is the word I like to use. Think about it. In Spider-man 1, my character named Spider-man. And in Spider-man 2, my character was the only one who defeated Spider-man. Think about that."
-And my personal favorite (in response to a question regarding the "cheesiness" of the movie poster and perhaps the movie itself):
"Cheesy?! Does this movie look cheesy to you?! I'll have you know that this movie cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to make!!"
I must say, however, that the highlight of the night came when I got to speak with the man himself during the book signing. The conversation went as follows:
Me - "Hey Bruce."
Bruce - "Hey, how you doin'?"
M - "Not too bad, thanks."
B - "Are you Adam?" [To streamline the signing, everybody had their names on post-its.]
M - "Yes I am."
B - "What do you do, Adam?"
M - "I'm a screenwriter, actually."
B - "I pity you." [Said with a smile, of course.]
M - "Oh?"
B - "Be original. You know, there's so much crap that is just copied from everything else and people stealing each other's stuff."
M - "Yeah."
B - "Make them steal your stuff; isn't that the idea?"
M - "Well, that's what I'm trying to do."
B - "No. Don't try. Do."
And, though it may sound lame, that's exactly what I am going to do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like Yoda. Maybe you should take his advice, run with a previous post and go with whatever serendipitous postmonition that may come your way...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home