Tuesday, June 21

Fun with words

I know I just had an entry on the little idiocincrisies that the English language has, but I've discovered something. (Actually, as in most cases, this time I've just "re-realized" something . . . I discovered it quite some time ago, but it was brought to my attention today.) I think that people need to make better use of the loopholes the English language has. Two of my personal favorites are opposite prefixes and adjective/noun switchage.
Opposite Prefixes:
What I mean by this is that we have a lot of prefixes at our disposal. And more often than not, said prefixes have an opposite. This opposite, however, is rarely used. And that's quite a shame, too, because there are tons of cool (real) words just waiting to be said. Words like "subterfluous", "extrospective", "postmonition", and even "enmember" are all just itchin' to be used, but aren't. C'est la vie.
Adjective/Noun Switchage:
This is where you take a noun and figure out the adjective form of it, and visa versa. For example, how would you describe something with cowlike features? "Cowy"? Or what would you call a manifestation of something that is funny? "Funnyness"? Now, of course, those are just plain silly. However, there are quite a few that are not, such as "defectivity", "serendipitous", "frigidity", and my favorite, "plethoric".
Oh, and just so you all know, the word of the day is "dictatrix": the female version of "dictator". Sweet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Calumny!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home